Michael at Darwin Station, Ecuador.

Michael at Darwin Station, Ecuador.

Teaching Traveling: How can teachers see the world for free though travel grants and scholarships? California teacher, Michael Wing, has advice on how to to it! Michael, tell us about your background.

Michael: I’m in my eighteenth year teaching science at Sir Francis Drake High School. Before that, I was an environmental consultant and an academic. I’ve traveled to:

• Finland and Alaska (National Science Foundation – funded PolarTREC Program) 2009.

I’ve also taken my own students, co-workers, and parent volunteers on trips. In particular I have lead over a dozen trips to the University of California’s White Mountain Research Center, in California’s White Mountains (12,500’ elevation) where my school has several ongoing research projects that I started.

Posing at the Arctic Circle in Finland.

Posing at the Arctic Circle in Finland.

TT: Astounding! Tell us more about your travels!

M: My very first trip led to all the others. In 2007 I was lucky enough to be selected to go to the Galapagos through the Toyota International Teacher Program. We were two dozen teachers, no two from the same state, traveling together from island to island meeting with local teachers and seeing the wildlife. Strangely, some of the teachers I was with seemed to know each other very well. I would ask about this, and they would say things like “Oh, we were together two years ago in Korea.” Or, “We were together three years ago in Saudi Arabia.”

Gradually it dawned on me that even though there are about four million teachers in the USA, the same very few teachers apply to all the cool teacher travel programs. I decided to become one of them. On the way home in the airport in Ecuador, I went around to each person and said “what other programs like this one have you heard about, or done?” I made a big list. I’m about halfway down it.

A tortoise with bird poop on it in the Galapagos Islands.

A tortoise with bird poop on it in the Galapagos Islands.

TT: Such a brilliant insight and idea. More people should do this! How did you find this first travel opportunity?

M: A co-worker sent around an email about the opportunity. Discovering opportunities for free teacher travel is the easy part. The hard part is finding the courage to apply. Because any application involves risk – the risk of wasted time, and of disappointment. Everyone thinks “Oh, I don’t have time and besides, the chances are I won’t get it.” Believe me, I had those thoughts too, but something made me sit down at the computer and bang out an application anyway. The Galapagos are expensive – I would never get there any other way. After eight years of just teaching my classes and going home I was ready for a challenge. My own kids were old enough to live without me for a couple of weeks.

Getting that one trip made all the difference. Now, applying for things doesn’t seem hard at all. I know how to do it. It’s like playing the lottery. In my state, millions of people buy lottery tickets even though their chances of winning anything life-altering are basically zero. They do it because in the interval between buying that ticket and finding out you didn’t win you have the right to daydream about how great it will be if you do win. But applying for something that you’re qualified for, and that matches your interests, brings much better odds. I get over 30% of the things I apply for. In the meantime, I get to daydream about how great it’ll be, just like any lottery ticket holder.

Michael on Cornwallis Island.

Michael on Cornwallis Island.

TT: Brilliant mindset, and so inspiring and helpful. How do you find the money to fund your travels?

M: Most of the teacher travel programs I’ve done were totally free. Toyota and PolarTREC even gave me some spending money and paid for my substitute teacher while I was away. For the Spaceward Bound trips I paid for my own airfare (it was never more than $2000) but NASA paid for all of my expenses while I was on the ground. The first time I went to the Canadian Artic with the Haughton Mars Project I flew for free on New York Air National Guard training fight. The second time I paid my own way ($12,000) by winning a Waitt Grant from the National Geographic Society. My trips to California’s White Mountains are inexpensive. They are two tanks of gasoline away from my school, and the White Mountain Research Center charges less than $60 per person, per night, meals and lodging included. Sometimes I got small grants to pay for them, sometimes participants paid their own way.

Sampling soil in Finland.

Sampling soil in Finland.

TT: So cool. Tell us one moment from your travels that was particularly powerful.

M: One evening in the United Arab Emirates this total stranger came to our hotel and invited us to visit his camel stables. (The hotel was near a racetrack.) I was expecting some place dusty and smelling like animals but he took us somewhere that was more like a palace. We sat on carpets and cushions around a big fire, under the stars, with a humungous-screen TV while servants brought us dates, coffee, hot ginger milk, and water pipes. The revolution against Qaddafi in Libya was just starting and we discussed world affairs for hours. An important sheik came in and we all rose to greet him. Then we went indoors to dinner, where we sat on the floor and ate biryani with our fingers. When our host brought us back we were in big trouble with our minders – they didn’t know where we were! But it was a magical evening.

On the Equator!

On the Equator!

TT: What a magical experience. How have your travels impacted you as a teacher, and in your current career?

M: In 2009 I went to Finland through the PolarTREC Program to participate in an archaeological study. We were studying 6000-year old hunter-gatherers. When I got home I thought “well, that was an amazing experience, but there’s no way I can do this with my students.” Archaeology is very unforgiving to amateurs. If you start digging without a permit you will be labeled a “pot hunter” and probably thrown in jail. High school teachers don’t get permits.

However, there was a very mysterious 800-foot line of granite boulders in my county that nobody knew anything about. Maye it was prehistoric, maybe not. There was nothing else like it. And, in Finland I had seen how much of archaeology is really just surveying and map-making. You can do those things without digging, or even touching a stone. So first I brought all 100+ of my students out to the line to make some preliminary measurements. Two of them said they wanted to take it on as a project, so over the next two years the three of us made detailed measurements on hundreds of individual stones. We found a pattern that was reminiscent of New England stone wall builders, even though the line wasn’t a wall. Probably it was built by 19th century ranchers at the start of the Anglo-American period in California. We wrote up our findings and published them in the peer-reviewed journal California Archaeology.

A plane crew's midnight arrival.

A plane crew’s midnight arrival.

TT: So cool. How have your travels impacted you as a person?

M: They have made me more creative. For instance, I was in the Mojave Desert in 2009 with some astrobiologists from NASA. We would turn over quartz rocks and find bright green films of cyanobacteria on their undersides. The rocks act like little greenhouse windows, transmitting some light but protecting the cells from UV radiation and desiccation. I started to wonder how long it takes to colonize a rock. I decided to put a set of glass and marble tiles in the desert to find out. Now I have similar sets (I call them “artificial hypoliths”) in Namibia, the United Arab Emirates, the Canadian Arctic, California’s White Mountain Peak, Svalbard, and Antarctica. All of them except the Antarctica ones were put in place by a teacher or student from my school. I sure wouldn’t have had this idea at home. In fact, ALL of my creative ideas have come to me while traveling or soon after returning from a big trip.

At the Tropic of Capricorn.

At the Tropic of Capricorn.

TT: What advice do you have for teachers who are dreaming of travel, or travelers dreaming of teaching?

M: Teaching and travel definitely complement each other. If you’re a teacher, apply for things and talk to creative people. You never know where your next big idea or opportunity is going to come from. Take your students on field trips. If you have the travel bug, teaching is a great profession for that. You get access to opportunities that other people don’t, you get some time off, and you get reasons to go places. Get a teaching credential. Home exchanges during school breaks are another way to travel. My family and I have gone to Norway and England, each time for nearly a month, through Homelink.org.

TT: Thanks so much, Michael! Readers, what questions or comments do you have for this impressive Teacher-Traveler?

* So far, this article has been read by 6,579 fans, with 1 visits today. Share it around! *

1. Hi, I am Muhammad ayub a government school teacher from Pakistan the mountainous area gilgit where the syllabus is throughout in English medium while we are not fully trained in English language as well as reading and writing so I want to improve my English abroad with free travel and all free accommodations. Thanking you.

2. Thanks all for the valuable information!

3. Hi Michael,
    it’s awesome to see how great travel you could enjoy. I would like to ask you as a very experienced person if you know some projects which I can attend even if I am not from the USA. I am teacher from the Czech Republic with 9 years of experience.

Thank you for information and I wish you just the best for your future journeys.

Roman

4. Christina C OQuinn May 14, 2016 at 3:36 pm

I have been an international teacher for 5 years. I taught in Guatemala for 2 years and 3 years in Egypt. I came home to Texas for one year and taught back in my old district. I knew within a few months, international teaching was for me. I’ve sold my house and I’m heading to Burma (Myanmar) in July for a two-year contract. If actually living in another country is not possible for you, what Mike is doing is the next best thing. It is an experience of a lifetime. Doing something like this does take an effort. There’s a lot of paperwork and hoops to jump through sometimes but once you do it, like Mike says, you get a handle on it and the next ones are not so tough. Traveling the world to seeing how other people live is the best life lesson you will ever have. Go for it. Don’t be afraid. Your worst regret will be never trying to do it.

1. Thank you for your response! I really want to! But where do I, and others like me, begin? Would you recommend getting certified to teach English as a foreign language? Or should I build on my bachelors in bio to get certified as a teacher? And if so, wouldn’t that really just be good for Florida, where I currently am? I’m eager to get going already. Not very interested in working here. What do you think would be the best way to begin doing something like this sooner than later?

1. Atalya, have you considered volunteering to try out International Teaching, and make sure it is for you? In addition to what Michael does, this is an option. I earned a TEFL in México and taught there, but also volunteered for a year through a US based organization that sends teachers all over the world. If I may be of any help, write me, or check out my article here on Lillie’s site – https://www.teachingtraveling.com/2015/08/04/teach-abroad-colombia/

1. Thank you so much for your help!!

2. Christina C OQuinn May 17, 2016 at 8:48 pm

Hi Atala,
        First of all, you generally do need a teaching certificate in most countries although some like China might take you on without one with your degree in biology. Teachers for the sciences are in demand. You also usually need to have at least 2 years of experience. I know in Egypt, the first year teachers never got working visas because it was mandatory to have 2 years experience. They still worked but eventually they needed one so after a few years there , they had to leave. If I were you, I would get my teaching certificate and try it out to get the two years in. You may find you don’t even like teaching, especially with so much emphasis on high stakes testing that is done here in the states. That kind of testing is not done in most other countries I don’t believe but there are standardized tests. They just don’t count for everything like they do here. They are one tool, not the only tool. Another reason I am going back. After you get your two years in, then look into a number of organizations that provide listings for international jobs. Joy Jobs, TIEonline which is the one I use and Search Associates are 3 of them. Search Assoc. requires you to pay about $250 and it’s good for 2 years but most contracts are for two years. They also have to accept you. I used them last year and got very little out of them. I got all three of my jobs – Guatemala, Egypt and now Burma through TIEonline. It only costs about $40. Have you traveled much outside the U.S.? International living is different from international travel. You can make a lot of good friends internationally but they won’t necessarily take the place of family and close friends at home so homesickness if a possibility. Anyway, I hope this helps. I love it but it’s not for everyone.

1. Thank you!! I really appreciate your taking the time to give your advice and resources!

3. Getting your teaching certificate in biology would be wise. Biology teachers are needed. You would not have a hard time getting a job but many schools want at least 2 years experience. Some working visas require it but if a school is desparet enough, they might hire you . Ask about the work visa. If you don’t want to wait that long to go abroad, teaching English would be quicker. You still need a certification, especially without a degree but you can get one by taking a 6 or 8 week course. There are many courses available so do some research. I took one in San Antonio. It wasn’t great but it got me the certification if I ever want to do that. Cambridge is one popular course. Do some homework and google course for teaching English abroad. Having some kind of teaching experience would be advisable. The culture shock plus teaching for the first time might be a bit much for you. Many schools don’t have mentoring programs. Good luck!

5. All the stories I have read are so inspirational. I feel motivated. How I wish this African teacher(me) gets helped to exchange her story with teachers and students across the globe!!! Am a story teller and wish my story comes to be told through my sponsored travels. My students too would benefit from the my stories. I wish to get invites from teachers or schools willing to host me in their schools, November and December are the months when I will most likely be free for travels. I am willing to share my skill of working with beads to make ornaments.

6. Wonderful article, Michael, thank you! Inspiring and informative. Lillie Marshall really knows how to bring great minds and experiences to her website for others to enjoy. Teach well and travel on!

Kate Dana, Cartagena de Indias, Colombia

7. Hello! Thank you for your wonderful article! I greatly admire all the things you have been doing and hope to pursue a career of such rewarding excitement and adventure. I was hoping for some advice… I have a bachelor’s degree in biology, took time off after graduating to travel, and now, a few years later, feel very lost and am trying to find my way. I actually have been thinking a lot about pursuing further education in archaeology, but have also always been interested in teaching. Of course, the travel bug is strong, but the need to be doing something positive and beneficial while traveling is very important to me. When I came across your article, I was very excited to see all of these things addressed. I was wondering, in my position, what do you think would be the best direction to take? As I said, I only have a bachelor’s degree in biology and not much field experience, yet. Any advice would be so greatly appreciated.

8. Hi Mike: The best subject to specialize in as a teacher is the one you most care about. yours, Michael Wing

1. Teaching English is a great way for native English speakers to travel around the world. Many international high schools, however, require that you are a certified teacher in your home country and have 2 years classroom experience.

9. Hi I’m a freshmen in an american university and I was wondering about working for an international school in the future. In your opinions what do you think would be the best subject to specialize in as a teacher? I’m currently thinking about pursuing EFL (English as a Foreign Language) but I’m seeing that many international schools are taught all in English or only accept English speaking students. What are the job outlooks for that subject area?