To which magical places will travel take you?

To which magical places will travel take you?

During Boston Teaching Traveling Inspiration Night on March 31, 2011, fantastically useful handouts flew left and right, giving aspiring Teacher-Travelers the tools to see the world cheaply.

And through these articles, you, too, can see these handouts and learn of these resources!

In a previous article, we listed 100 Ways to Finally Start Traveling, ranging from structured to un-structured programs, with and without students.

What this new article will give you is specific links to prestigious, highly established programs for which you often must apply up to a year in advance. But despite the long planning-ahead time, the payoffs are worth it! In fact, all opportunities on this list are sponsored by the Bureau of Educational and Cultural Affairs (ECA), U.S. Department of State, or US Department of Education.

Most of the deadlines for this year’s travel have passed, but simply click the link to find the dates for next year’s applications, or Google the name if the link is redirecting to the previous year. Do enjoy the accompanying photos from the exceptional Chihuly exhibit at Boston’s Museum of Fine Arts.

Without further ado, we give you:

9 SCHOLARSHIPS FOR U.S. TEACHERS TO TRAVEL:

1.) Distinguished Fulbright Awards in Teaching Program: Administered by the Academy for Educational Development, this program is open to elementary and secondary teachers.

What crazy things will travel help you see?

What crazy things will travel help you see?

Program dates: Three- to six-month programs.

Application deadline: December.

2.) Educational Seminars for Teachers: Administered by the American Councils for International Education. Programs in Thailand and Uruguay are open to elementary and secondary educators. Programs in India, Italy and Greece are for secondary educators.

Program dates: three-to-eight week programs in summer.

Application deadline: deadlines vary.

3.) Fulbright Classroom Teacher Exchange Program: Administered by the Academy for Educational Development, this program is open to elementary and secondary teachers.

Program dates: Fall semester, or academic year.

Application deadline: October.

4.) Fulbright-Hays Seminars Abroad- Bilateral Projects: This is a short term travel study abroad program for US educators in the social sciences and humanities for the purpose of improving their understanding and knowledge of other peoples and countries.

Program dates: 4- 6 weeks in the summer.

Travel is a boat to new possibilities.

Travel is a boat to new possibilities.

Application deadline: October.

5.) Fulbright-Hays – Group Projects Abroad: This program provides grants to support overseas projects in training, research and curriculum development in modern foreign languages and area studies for teachers, students, and faculty engaged in a common endeavor. Projects may include short-term seminars, curriculum development, group research or study, or advanced intensive language programs.

Program dates: short to long term projects.

Application deadline: October.

6.) Intensive Summer Language Institutes: Administered by American Councils for International Education, this program is for teachers of Mandarin and Arabic including elementary and secondary teachers, community college instructors, and those enrolled in teacher certification programs.

Are you trapped in a forest of work, now?

Are you trapped in a forest of work, now?

Program dates: Late June through early August.

Application deadline: March.

7.) Teaching Excellence and Achievement Award: Administered by the International Research and Exchange Board (IREX), this program is open to secondary teachers.

Program dates: Two week international programs in Spring/Summer with pre- and post- program professional development online and in Washington D.C.

Application deadline: TBA. For updates on deadlines, please register on the IREX website.

8.) American Councils Exchanges, Training and Study Abroad: American Councils administers a variety of cultural exchange, study abroad, and research programs on behalf of both public and private funders. Participation in these programs is through an open, merit-based competition, and facilitates mutual understanding between the United States and Eurasia, Southeast Europe, and South Asia.

Adventure out into the colorful world, fully funded!

Adventure out into the colorful world, fully funded!

9.) Teachers to Teachers: Language, Technology, Math Science Exchange: Through the Bureau of Educational and Cultural Affairs (ECA) of the U.S. Department of State, American Councils for International Education administers Teachers to Teachers: Language, Technology, Math, and Science Exchange Program (LTMS). With support from the Ministry of Education and Science of the Russian Federation, Uchitelskaya Gazeta, and local education departments, the program aims to recognize the excellence and commitment of secondary school teachers and teacher-trainers in a broad range of subjects by providing U.S. based professional development seminars, practical classroom-learning opportunities, and preparation to conduct post-program professional development workshops for colleagues in Russia. Professional development seminars will be offered in teaching methodologies, curriculum development, and workshop design and implementation.

* So far, this article has been read by 57,968 fans, with 1 visits today. Share it around! *

1. Hello! I am a recent graduate here in America, and I am searching for a teaching/professional fellowship abroad. Would you happen to know of any besides Fulbright? Also, do you happen to know of any linguistic/translation fellowships by any chance?

I’m just having trouble starting my search for fellowships abroad.

Thank you!

2. Hi Lillie,
    I am a female, based in New Delhi, India and looking for international opportunities to teach/research at higher education level. I am a Business Management professor and teach Organisational Behavior. I am also the Dean of School of Humanities & Social Science at my university. Any suggestions for me?

1. Hello! Try the link I’ve put in reply to the comment right below yours. Best of luck!

3. Analyn C Altamirano June 22, 2016 at 8:12 pm

I am Analyn Cole Altamirano 34 years old. I am an Elementary School teacher in the Philippines and I have one year leave of absence from Public school SY 2016 – 2017. I am ultimately desiring to upgrade and develop my English language skill. May I know if I could be granted to any scholarship to US?
    Thank you so much for your greatest consideration.

1. Hello! Do a search at the website explained here: https://www.teachingtraveling.com/2014/12/31/travel-scholarships/ . Good luck!

4. I am looking for a short summer session because I don’t think my school would allow me to be gone during the year. I am a math teacher who teaches mostly algebra one. I see sessions for languages and other humanities but math is basically nonexistent. Also, I am 57 years of age which seems to be about 30 years older than the places I have found want. Suggestions?

1. Hi Linda, I’m SURE you can find something good, given the precious skills and experience you have! Have you checked out https://www.teachingtraveling.com/2015/11/17/free-travel-for-teachers/ or https://www.teachingtraveling.com/2014/12/31/travel-scholarships/ ? Another option is to just save up to travel somewhere. Once you’re there, you’re bound to find a school that would LOVE to have you for the summer. Good luck, and let us know how it goes!

5. Am looking for any grants for language study in Vietnam. About 30% of the student body at my elementary school are Vietnamese and we have no faculty members that can speak the language. Any suggestions?

1. What a great and useful goal to pursue! Have you checked the search engine for government grants on the International Exchange Programs homepage for the United States Department of State? If that doesn’t have something up that alley, I’m SURE there are other options out there. It would benefit so many members of your school community!

6. Hi,my name is Bashiri i am from africa,tanzania living in Arusha like 45 min drive from Arusha town .I am a teacher in a local government school.I am teaching English grade5 and grade 7.I am looking for the volunteers teachers who will help teaching English language in my school.In Tanzania the pupils have to pass English language to join to seconday schools.So please any help!!That will be a big help to my pupils.

7. The links to #2, 6, 8 & 9 don’t work.

1. Hi Michelle,

Thanks for the tip! It’s been hectic trying to keep up with updating this page as the names, links, and descriptions of these scholarships so rapidly change! Until I can get to the new update, here is an excellent travel funding search resource: https://www.teachingtraveling.com/2014/12/31/travel-scholarships/ . Good luck, and sorry for the inconvenience!

8. I am a kindergarten teacher in the Philippines. It is my ultimate desire to study abroad to expose myself to a wider experience and learn and acquire better techniques, methods and innovations in teaching. Thank you

Analyn Cole Altamirano

9. NOTE: I now have an update to this article with an amazing travel scholarship search tool. There’s something for everyone! –> https://www.teachingtraveling.com/2014/12/31/travel-scholarships/

10. Hello my friends! I am from Kyrgyz Republic. Teacher of English
    and russian languages.Would like to have some experience
    abroad, so that to learn more, enhance and also too see other
    culture. I can also speak french. Will be very grateful if doneone can
    advise me. Thank you s much !!!

Have a nice day))

11. I am a Kindergarten teacher from NC. I am looking for any short term study abroad opportunities during the Summer. Any suggestions will be appreciated.

1. Hi Jeannette,
      Exciting plans! Here are articles on this site that have to do with summer: https://www.teachingtraveling.com/?s=summer&searchsubmit= . Here are short-term programs: https://www.teachingtraveling.com/?s=short-term&searchsubmit= and these articles mention study abroad: https://www.teachingtraveling.com/?s=study+abroad&searchsubmit= . Good luck, and I hope you find some quality leads!

12. Hi!
    I’m Winnie from Tanzania and I am a Swahili and History Teacher in a public school, I would like to improve my English as a second language and the best way to learn a second language is by living with a native societies. So is there any possibility for me to get a chance in US or Canada to teach swahili while I am learning English? And can I get a scholarship?
    Thank you!!
    Winnie..

1. Hi Winnie,
      I’m sure such opportunities exist, though I can’t think of specific ones offhand. Good luck!

13. Hi my name is T. Jones and I am an ESOL teacher from Georgia. I am looking for a summer language immersion program in Mexico. I am also seeking funding, can you point me in the right direction of what is available out there?

1. What a great goal! There are many resources out there, but I couldn’t recommend a particular one. When I did language immersion in Mexico (and later in Guatemala) it was actually quite affordable (cheaper than being at home!) so consider how you could do small fundraising and rearrange your daily budget. All these things add up, and you will be SO HAPPY once you go. It will be worth it!

14. Working through a local Vermont non-profit organization and the center for education at Vermont State University at Castleton, we are building an exchange program between an elementary school and high school in Vermont and an elementary school and High School in Awassa Ethiopia. We hope to pilot next year and alternate US teachers going there for two weeks and then the next year Ethiopian teachers coming to VT for two weeks, alternating residencies for ten years. We think we might be able to use district PD funds to pay for American teachers going there…but we are looking for funds to bring the Ethiopian teachers here. We’re looking for any ideas that people have of who might fund such an exchange?

1. What a fabulous plan! I can’t recommend any specific funding sources, but many exist. Best of luck, and keep us posted!

15. Great list Lillie! Also of note are the free trips to Germany provided by TOP (http://www.goethe.de/ins/us/lp/prj/top/enindex.htm) and it is always worthwhile to check what programs the IIE (http://www.iie.org) is offering. Fund for Teachers (http://www.fundforteachers.org) is awesome too and their grants can be used on programs like GEEO (www.geeo.org), which as you know I am very found of!
    -Jesse

16. Thank you very much Amy and Lillie. I will keep you posted on any development.

17. I am a kenyan secondary school teacher of english and literature. I would like to

take part in international conferences and trainings for teachers.

Somebody advise me. I will be very grateful.

Thank you.

mike

1. Mike,
      Best of luck, and let us know what you find!

1. A note to international teachers: The U.S. Department of State’s Bureau of Educational and Cultural Affairs offers professional development programs in the U.S. for teachers from more than 50 countries. Contact the Public Affairs section of the U.S. Embassy in your country to find out details on specific international programs. For example, Mike from Kenya sounds eligible for the International Leaders in Education Program, which is a U.S-based program for secondary teachers from 15 countries including Kenya. http://nairobi.usembassy.gov/resources/exchange-programs.html

1. michael kioko July 19, 2012 at 9:04 am

Thank you very much Amy A. I will follow your suggestion and get back to you.

Thanks.

Mike

1. The contact for the International Leaders in Education Program at the U.S. Embassy in Nairobi is Ken Wakia (wakiako@state.gov). Good luck!

2. Thanks for your help (“Crowd-sourcing”!) and keep us posted on how it goes, Mike!

18. Hi,

I just got accepted into the IUP Intense summer mandarin program in Beijing and I am currently an elementary school teacher who will be teaching in Bilingual Mandarin Classes in California soon. Are there any grants or scholarships still available?

Thank you.

1. I’m sure there are some, somewhere, but I don’t know any off the top of my head besides the ones discussed on this site. Keep looking and let us know what you find! Congrats, by the way!

1. Hi,

I’m a high school English teacher and am looking to fund a project that includes climbing one of the world’s 7 summits. I’ve written a grant, but would love for someone to review it and and suggest appropriate funding channels. Do you know of any resources that helps prospective grant seekers? Many thanks,

Keith

1. Fascinating!
          There are tons of grants out there, so I know it’s possible to get one. Fund for Teachers is a great one, but is only in a few cities. There are also a bunch listed here on the Mass Literacy Network site: http://www.masslitnetwork.org/resource-type/grants-funding/

Keep looking and let us know what you find, but another option is just to do your own saving and fundraising. Travel is cheaper than we think, as explained in this article, http://www.aroundtheworldl.com/2010/04/05/why-rtw-travel-doesnt-need-to-be-a-rich-white-thing/ , and even if it does cost a lot, sometimes it’s worth it just to pay! Memories and accomplishments are priceless. 🙂

Keep us posted, and best of luck!

19. Hi,I’ Daudi from Tanzania i teach Swahili here in Tanzania.I would like to learn more English.i understand that the best way of learning a second language is by living in a society that speak the language.I want to improve my English. Is there any opportunity for Swahili teacher to teach in Us for short period of time?

1. Hi Daudi! Great to hear from you. Unfortunately, these scholarships are for U.S. teachers, BUT I KNOW there exist some scholarships out there for great foreign teachers like you to study in the U.S. for a short period. Good luck searching, and let us know what you find!

2. Daudi: Where in Tanzania are you from?? I was in Tanzania (near Arusha… Tengeru to be specific) in 2005. I am now teaching students from other countries in the US and thought we could maybe help each other out. I am also interested in coming back to Tanzania at some point to teach and/or visit. Please e-mail me and we could talk about this and perhaps find some programs for each other! 🙂 -Ashley
      almiller8608@gmail.com

20. Hi! I’m Marlon D. Lopez from Philippines, an Elementary Teacher for 7 years. I’m so interested about the scholarship you offered but the problem is how can I avail it? Our system of education here is completely different from yours. At my age, I want to learn more and enhance my skills in teaching and I know that through your scholarship, it will help me a lot especially in teaching learning process. I hope through this comment, you will help me to get a scholarship program. Thank you and more power!

1. teachingtravel May 4, 2011 at 10:54 am

Marlon, thanks for your comment, and that is wonderful that you are seeking a scholarship to travel. To be clear, these are not scholarships that I run (I am just a teacher and website designer!) but rather a list of scholarships the U.S. Government offers. You make a wise point that there is a very different process for teachers from other countries to get funding… But opportunities exist for you if you keep looking. For example, the Fullbright scholarship does have money and programs for international teachers to come to the U.S. if you can make it through the looong application process. Good luck and let us know what you find!

1. The Philippine American Education foundation is a great resource for teachers in the Philippines and administers many exchange programs: http://www.paef.org.ph/