What can teachers grow for education by forming a Teacher PR Corps?

What can teachers grow for education by forming a Teacher PR Corps?

It is time for teachers to “travel” outside the education sphere by sharing stories of what we REALLY do with a wider audience. Most of you would agree: There is a crisis now in how teachers are viewed. Sometimes we’re seen as martyrs, victims, or ragged saints, while others view our profession as low-level, boring, incompetent, or lazy. However, we can transform education by shifting these incorrect narratives!

To improve the world’s perspective on teachers and thus alter how education is done, we need a Teacher PR Corps. This Corps could create articles, interviews with teachers, art, and short videos to capture slices of the best of what teaching is. These products would then be published in print and online publications that are read outside of the Education Sphere.

Our goal would be for people in other careers to be able to quickly and clearly digest the article or video, then smile and say something like, “Wow! I never knew that teachers were this fun, intellectual, creative, and important!” These pieces must add complexity and depth to the discussion of who teachers are, thus shifting how education is dealt with. Let us surmount the negativity and go beyond the cliches!

So what do you think? What ideas or suggestions do you have about a Teacher PR Corps?

* So far, this article has been read by 534 fans, with 1 visits today. Share it around! *

1. Very nice and interesting post. I like it very much. Your ideas are very valuable. Such ideas have a great potential to improve the education. Thanks a lot.

2. I like the idea but suggest we seek guidance/input from PR professionals. We don’t like it when non-educators assume they know our profession, so let’s respect the work of the PR professionals. In addition, PR, when done badly can actually make things worse. Let’s try and make sure we know what we’re doing.

1. I totally agree! We are in the process of hiring one with a small grant received. Do join the Facebook group if you haven’t – https://www.facebook.com/groups/TeacherPRCorps/ – and share more great ideas! 🙂

3. We now have a Facebook group for the Teacher PR Corps! Request to join here: https://www.facebook.com/groups/TeacherPRCorps/

4. Thank you for initiating this project idea. I would love to be a part of this group to start brainstorming and implementing some ways to let others know and understand more about the work we do. If we show that we value and love our career, others will begin to do the same. Please email me. Thank you:)

5. Lillie–
    Your proposal for a teachers’ PR Corps is just what I’m hoping to promote at http://teachersspeakup.com — so I wrote a post about your effort just now. I hope you’ll take a look at my website blog for this kind of effort — though you may already have done so. We should discuss how we can support one another.

I see two big challenges: 1) Many teachers really hesitate to toot their own horn, not realizing how essential it is for us to re-brand ourselves after all the negativity about teachers and public education. And 2) It’s really hard to find or create media outlets that actually get our stories out to a wider audience. One effort I’m working on now is a TEDx event here in Chicago to get some more teacher stories onto YouTube. More on that to come.

–Steve Zemelman

1. Such good points! I will be in touch…

6. Yes! Yes! Yes! I couldn’t agree more. Teaching is so intellectually stimulating, and I just don’t think non-teachers truly get that. I’d love to get involved!

1. Excellent! I will add you to the list and email you next steps.

7. Please count me in! I’ve had a long career in education and love to write about similar topics. For example, I’ve written a lot of district PR pieces in relation to accountability and testing, as there is common misunderstanding in the general public about what test and accountability scores mean, and I’ve found it helpful for schools when we proactively “debunk” myths and misunderstandings.

1. Fabulous! I will email you next steps.

8. I am interested in your project! I would suggest you get in contact with teach.org also – their mission to recruit the next generation of teachers aligns with your desire to expand the narrative on teaching. Feel free to contact me 🙂

9. I’d love to be a part of this! I’ve been teaching in the Boston area for the past seven years and feel very passionate about this topic. I’d love to chat with others who are like-minded.

1. Great! I will send you an email with next steps.