Emily, happy in Hong Kong.

Emily, happy in Hong Kong.

Teaching Traveling: Is it financially wise to teach abroad? Read how Emily Gibson left her U.S. teaching job to teach English in Hong Kong… for double the salary!

Emily, tell us about your background.

Emily: I was born in the quiet suburbs of Southern California, but from the time I was young I yearned to see the world, like my adventurous grandfather. When I was in college, I majored in English and Spanish and had the opportunity to study for a semester in Spain. The experience was life-changing. I loved seeing the world from another perspective. After graduating, I moved to San Francisco and became a primary school teacher at a public school serving mostly Latino and Chinese immigrants. I spent my summers traveling as far and wide as possible, to Western Europe, Southeast Asia, Central America and Australia. Last year, I pursued my longtime dream of teaching abroad by becoming an English and Spanish teacher at a school in Hong Kong. I’m having such a great time that I’ve decided to stay for a second year.

TT: Wow! What made you decide to leave your teaching job in San Francisco and move to Asia?

E: After teaching the same grade at the same school for 8 years, I was facing burnout. The heartbreaking budget cuts to public education in California in general and to my school in particular added to a feeling that I just couldn’t continue on the same path anymore. I knew I needed to make a big change in my personal and professional life or I’d risk leaving education altogether.

The striking Hong Kong skyline.

The striking Hong Kong skyline.

TT: Understood. Where do you teach now? How did you find this teaching opportunity?

E: I got a job as a Native English Teacher at a private school in Hong Kong. I found the opportunity through my former roommate in San Francisco who grew up in Hong Kong and had since moved back. Through my friend, I learned about schools in Hong Kong and about the Native English Teacher Scheme, a government-sponsored program to bring experienced teachers who are native English speakers to local schools in Hong Kong. Strangely, I got the position at my school in part because of my degree in Spanish. The school had been contracting with outside companies to offer Spanish classes as an elective, so they asked me to take over the Spanish elective courses in addition to teaching my English classes. I never imagined that my Spanish degree would give me an edge in Asia!

Traveling in Italy with Hong Kong students!

Emily traveling in Italy with her Hong Kong students!

TT: Fascinating! How did you find the money to fund this travel? E: I initially took an unpaid leave of absence from my job in San Francisco so I could keep my position at home while living abroad. (I have since resigned from my U.S. school.) The Hong Kong tax code works out favorably for teachers, so I actually make about double my U.S. salary here. Through the Native English Teacher Scheme, I receive a monthly housing stipend to offset the high rental prices in Hong Kong. I had to pay for my flight from the U.S. and to live off my savings for my first month in Hong Kong, but since then it’s been easy to cover my living expenses and save money for travel using my monthly earnings.

Emily's view of Bali on a vacation from Hong Kong teaching.

Emily’s view of Bali on a vacation from Hong Kong teaching.

TT: Wonderful! Tell us one moment from your travels that was particularly powerful.

E: One of the best parts about living in Hong Kong is that it’s a travel hub for Asia. In 3-5 hours, you could be traveling in Japan, Vietnam, Indonesia, Malaysia, or just about anywhere in Southeast Asia. I’ve gotten to travel to places I’ve always dreamed of visiting but wasn’t ever sure I’d be able to afford to see. I spent Christmas 2011 in Bali with one of my best friends from home. Waking up on Christmas morning in a thatched-roof hut hearing the sounds of birds and monkeys in the surrounding rainforest was truly unforgettable!

I’ve also gotten paid to travel as part of my teaching job. As a chaperone on a school trip to Italy during Easter holidays last year, I went on a fully-funded 12-day art tour of Italy with 28 students from Hong Kong. Now that was something I never expected from moving to Asia!

Fire dancers in Bali, seen during a break from Hong Kong teaching!

Fire dancers in Bali, seen during a break from Hong Kong teaching!

TT: Love it! How have your travels impacted you as a teacher?

E: Getting out of my teaching comfort zone was the best thing I could’ve done for my career. I had to learn how to work with many different age levels, how to use the latest classroom technology, and how to collaborate with colleagues to a greater degree than I’d ever done before. Seeing education from an Asian perspective has also been a fascinating– and at times challenging– experience. I realized how much I appreciate creating a hands-on, cooperative learning environment in part because I now teach in a system focused on whole group, rote learning. I also see how much the U.S. lags behind in terms of foreign language education. Children in Hong Kong are fluent in Cantonese, Mandarin and English, and often one or 2 other languages, by the time they finish primary school. That’s amazing! In the future I’ll definitely seek to work at schools that place bilingualism as a priority.

In Malaysia during vacation from Hong Kong. Paradise!

In Malaysia during vacation from Hong Kong. Paradise!

TT: So interesting. How have your travels impacted you as a person?

E: I’ve always loved travel because it forces me to be more flexible and open-minded. Living abroad has increased that feeling. Even though Hong Kong considers itself to be Asia’s “global city,” it still feels very Chinese. I’ve had plenty of moments when I didn’t understand a situation and wasn’t able to communicate. The only way to survive was by judging less, observing more, and rolling with the punches. I think I’m better able to handle life’s unexpected situations after living in Hong Kong.

Emily, very happy during travel to Italy!

Emily, very happy during travel to Italy!

TT: What advice do you have for teachers who are dreaming of travel, or travelers dreaming of teaching?

E: My advice to anyone who’s dreamed of living abroad would be to just go for it. There’s always a way to make it happen if you start talking to others about your intentions. Teaching in Hong Kong started off as my “crazy Plan B” idea, but once I started speaking to friends and family about it, all the pieces fell into place quickly. International schools are always looking for experienced teachers, and many Asian countries are specifically looking for native English speakers.

My other piece of advice to teachers who are at all struggling in the tough economic climate in the U.S. and Europe is to be open to opportunities abroad. My adventures in Hong Kong would not have happened had the budget crisis not decimated my school. Now I’m not only having the time of my life teaching in Asia, but I’m also able to fund travel to exotic places while saving a nice nest egg to take back to the U.S. My worst school year led to my best opportunity yet.

TT: Thanks so much for sharing your inspiring story, Emily! Readers, what questions or comments do you have?

* So far, this article has been read by 24,703 fans, with 3 visits today. Share it around! *

1. * I forgot to add: Great interview, Emily!

2. Hi,
    I have just began to look in Asia for teaching jobs via recruiters which is going so-so. The word on the internet is not to use a recruiter for China and to just go to a school. But that feels completely daunting. Can you tell me what the best approach is for Hong Kong- recruiter or directly contacting schools? I have a B.Ed. A BFA, and a 100 hour TESOL from 10 years ago, and I have not been ablle to ind a teaching job at home after graduating in 2010. I will be rusty in the classroom for sure. Based on this, would I be able to find a job in Hong Kong, and if I was to make $2500.00 per month, plus apartment allowance, how much may I be able to save?
    Thanks a great deal for your help.
    Leslie

3. Hy Emily,
    I live in Pakistan I am having Master Degree in English with IELTS score 6. I have a rich teaching experience. I am currently doing TEFL online course from UK. I am married and having three kids. Kindly guide me if there is any vacancy. Thank you,

4. hi Emily. my father lives in hong kong as we speak. my cousin and i want to come work in hong kong. Can you please give me some advice on how to go about. we both have graduated and want to explore the world now. is it possible to get a school with two positions for us both at a school?

5. Hi,
    Would you please tell me where you found your awesome job?
    I speak Portuguese (have been living in Brazil for almost 2 years); Maybe that is helpful in Asia?

Thanks

6. Hi Emily ive just looked at all the amazing places you have been. Ive just finished my Tefel certificate and I have completed my first year at university with a HNC im studying with the Open University at home while working full time, towards and Open Degree BSC.
    I would love to teach in Hong Kong and I am wondering where to start at this moment in time. I have been a hairdresser for many years and have been studying to change my career. I am 39 now and if I was going to teach Then Hong Kong would really apeal to me because I would love the culture, people and also I can practice Wing Chun. What chance would I have starting off in Hong Kong without a degree at this present time. Im a white english native speaker and i respect what you have done good on you. Thanks for your advice and time If you can give me any. I really do feel like going for Hong Kong.

Mark Hatchard

7. tiomene mevline August 14, 2013 at 11:21 am

yap emily;thanks am in CAMEROON IN AFRICA;having a bachelors degre in english modern letters and i have been teachin english in a private secondary school for more than six year ;and will love to come and teach in honkong can u please help me with some information.thanks am waiting

8. Hi Emily,

I am currently pursuing an M.S.Ed. in TESOL and have a few years of experience teaching ESL in South Korea and in the States. I know English-teaching positions in Korea, Japan, and mainland China are fairly easy to come by, but I’ve rarely come across job ads for teaching positions in Hong Kong which is where I would really love to work.

I am especially interested in teaching at the university level. What do you think my chances are? Thanks!

1. I think Hong Kong has many options for you. Start scanning the South China Morning Post classified section at http://www.classifiedpost.com for the most recently posted higher ed jobs. Schools start posting in December for the following school year. Good luck!

9. NET scheme is decent, though likely coming to an end in the next couple of years. All the huge levels of investment and funding in English over the years have been fine, but centrally it has been realized that why support English so much when Chinese is the language of the future. Some say the NET scheme will be done in 2 years, others who are optimistic give it 3 – 4 maximum.

10. Emily I am considering moving to Hong Kong to teach English. However I have been reading up reviews on the internet and I get the sentiment that non-whites are discriminated against.

I am Asian American so this does concern me. Have you seen discrimination against non-white English teachers? If so can you elaborate? How well do my job prospects look?

I have a year of teaching experience and I am certified.

Thanks!

1. I’m not sure that “discrimination” is the right word, but I think that people may assume that you speak and understand Cantonese, for example, and be shocked when they discover you don’t! In terms of jobs, schools will care less about what you look like and much more about the fact that you’re a native English speaker with an undergrad degree and a valid teaching credential from an English-speaking country. Good luck in your search!

1. Discrimination against nonwhites is rampant though some schools do a better job of hiding it just to maintain a certain a reputation. If you want to understand this issue better, you are better off asking a nonwhite individual because whites are highly favored in the market so a lot of them are unaware or pretend to be unaware about the issues you asked about. That said, I suggest you compose yourself well, tailor your resume to highlight your strength and experience and use the right recruiter if desired to seek out what you want. I’m a Hong Kong native and I even faced a level of discrimination when I returned home after spending years all over the world (especially in Africa) as a humanitarian. When some prospective employers learned I worked in remote villages in Africa as a humanitarian, some were impressed, some weren’t, some didn’t care and some expressed disgust. My experience was very impressive in the West but in HK, some thought I was too involved in “black people stuff” to be given a certain position. Thankfully, the experience motivated me to push ahead and I landed an incredible position that enabled me to save well, obtain my PhD and eventually, launch a successful business here in Hong Kong. Funny enough, some of those high and mighty employers have been going to the moon and back to get even small attention from my company. So I suggest you believe in yourself and go for what you want in spite of any limitations, fear of discrimination or anything else. Hong Kong is a great country and you will love it! Best of Luck!

~Kim~

PS: I know this message is old but I replied in present tense anyway… maybe out of sheer laziness 🙂 I hope you read it or someone else who has similar question does.

1. Thanks a bunch Kim!

2. Thanks for such a detailed response Kim. Out of curiosity, what kind of business did you start?

11. Hello! i am also a teacher in the Bay Area looking for abroad work this upcoming summer. Do you have an email address where I can contact you through? Would love to get your advice!

Best,
    Samantha

1. Summer-only jobs are tough because employment visas are expensive in HK. My guess is that this website has some other good suggestions for you!

12. Thanks so much for this interview! I think this might be a good option for me down the road and it’s great to read about people who are making it happen. I’d love to hear even more specifics regarding precisely how much money one can save during a year of teaching abroad, but I can understand if folks don’t necessarily want to give out exact financial info.

1. Hi there

I am in Cambodia now, arrived here in January.
      You need to have starting up capiital.For the first 3 months you will not be able to save.
      Theres visa costs to consider,rent to pay, wi-fi connections to sort out.
      Im happy to say this month I started saving 600 usd, hope that answers your question.

regards
      Kashifa

2. A good way to start is to take a look at the tax rate in the country where you’re considering working. The tax rate in HK, for example, is about half the US/UK tax rate, which makes a huge difference on your take-home pay.

13. How’s the cost of living in Hong Kong compared to California? I know rent is high (which you said is subsidized for you), but what about everything else?

1. Rent is astronomical, but transportation and utilities are much cheaper than in the US. It’s possible to eat out or in cheaply.

1. Hello Emily,
        we are going to visit Hongkong for 2 days in June. (7.th+8th.) this year. We would like to see something of the real life in Hongkong. We know there are a lot of travel agencies who offer there programs but we are looking for a person who lives there and who will show us not only the sights.
        Do you know somebody by any chance who is interested to lead us for few hrs.

Thank your very much for your reply. We are 4 adults who have been accompanied a diving safari on the Philippines.

With best regards
        Marion.

14. For those of you that have a teaching degree/experience/certification, there are International Schools looking for you! Math, Science, History, etc. positions available with great salaries and benefits. Teaching, Administrative and Intern positions at prestigious international Schools. Check them out at http://www.searchassociates.com.

-Great Newsletter. Thanks Lille!

15. Great story! Love her positive attitude. I also love hearing about people pursuing their dreams to move abroad. 🙂

16. Thanks, Maria! Just to clarify, though, even though my undergraduate degrees were not in teaching, I was a fully certified and experienced teacher in my home country before moving to Hong Kong.

1. Thanks for clarifying! That said, the interview just before yours features a couple that had no teaching degree at all, but landed great jobs in Asia: https://www.teachingtraveling.com/2013/02/19/teaching-abroad-without-tefl/

17. This is inspiring! Got a degree NOT in teaching? It may just come in handy somewhere else. So true that you just never know where your knowledge will take you. Kudos

18. What’s the website for the Native English Teacher Scheme? It sounds like something I might be interested in…

1. There isn’t one centralized site for NET jobs; individual schools may hire their own teachers. The best place is the online classified section of the South China Morning Post, the major English newspaper in Hong Kong: http://www.classifiedpost.com. Search for “Native English Teacher.”