This could be you! Apply to volunteer teach in the DR this summer!

This could be you! Apply to volunteer teach in the DR this summer!

Here’s a fabulous opportunity from a fellow Boston teacher, Jennifer Dines, to travel to the Dominican Republic this summer to volunteer! Jennifer explains:

Are you interested in traveling to the Dominican Republic?

Do you know a college student, friend, or colleague who is hoping to improve in Spanish and cross-cultural communication?

Would you like to spend a month of your summer living and working on the shores of the Caribbean?

I had an incredible experience working with the young women serviced by the Mariposa DR Foundation, and it has proved invaluable to me in my work here in Boston. I am hoping to spend at least part of my summer volunteering and visiting my students in this program this year.

Relax on the best beaches in the world after a day of teaching!

Relax on the best beaches in the world after a day of teaching!

The Mariposa DR Foundation is looking for experienced teachers and/or volunteers who could lead enrichment programs. Apply soon, because the deadline for this summer is April 1, 2012. This is an ongoing program, however, so even if you miss the deadline, keep abreast of other opportunities.

Please download the document here for more information: https://jdines.lgfnet.org/index/1400713

The blog (with many photos!) from my experience in 2010 is here: http://mariposafft.blogspot.com/ Please contact jdines@lgfnet.org or for more information!

* So far, this article has been read by 2,551 fans, with 1 visits today. Share it around! *

1. Hello; presently teach MS Office 2013 and Business English here in the states, Rhode Island…would love to travel to DR and help where needed. Have visited on numerous occasions and love the island and its people…..thanks so much…looking for summer 2014 needs if you have them….Chace

2. I am currently working as a Primary Teacher in the UK. My summer holiday is from 25th July until 6th September. Is there a chance to volunteer between those dates?
    Pam

1. Most likely! Head over to the official Mariposa info and volunteer page: http://www.mariposadrfoundation.org/Volunteer_Opportunities.html . Best of luck!

3. hello! how do i apply to volunteer to teach in the dominican republic this summer 2013? thank you, lisa

4. Sorry..forgot to leave my email..please contact me at scottymochan@yahoo.com
    Regards
    Scotty

5. Greetings My wife and I are interested to voluntee for r a years teaching in the Dominican Republic. I have many years international teaching experience in South America and China. I am a New Zealander and my wife is Colombian. My wife has had experience teaching Spanish in the New Zealand schools. I work best with those students struggling to grasp the concepts of english in its practical application and do so with well prepared classes, endless patience and a great sense of humor. If we can be of service to you in the 2013 teaching year we would love to hear from you
    Kindes regards
    Scotty

6. Jennifer Dines May 18, 2012 at 1:34 pm

Including flight and spending money, I usually spend around $2000 total. Please email me if you have any questions!

1. As someone who has traveled extensively, I verify that is an excellent deal. While it feels odd to pay for a volunteer experience, the resume building, skills learned, and enjoyment always make the cost worthwhile.

1. Jennifer Dines May 18, 2012 at 2:59 pm

Yes – I agree. I learned Spanish, made lifelong friends, and provided service to young ladies who might not have had the educational opportunity otherwise. It is one of the best investments I’ve made, and knowing Spanish and DR culture has created an unbelievable connection between myself and my Dominican and Latino students.

7. This sounds like a great opportunity for teachers and students alike. I was looking at the website and it seems as though the teachers help fund this project. What is the cost to volunteer in this program?

1. It does cost money to volunteer there (paying for room and board and transport there), but the price is very economical for what you get. Contact them for more details.

8. Jennifer Dines May 7, 2012 at 5:44 pm

Hi Vedia: There is always room for a committed and motivated volunteer!
    Please fill out the application here:
    Also, if it doesn’t work out for this summer, this program is ongoing, and there are also volunteer opportunities during the year. Please feel free to contact me at jdines@lgfnet.org with specific questions.
    Best, Jennifer

9. Is it too late to apply for this summer? Or are there some open spots?